If you’re a lawyer, or if you’ve ever had to find a lawyer, then you know that finding the right one can be a challenge. You might have heard of SEO, or search engine optimization, but what does it mean for your law firm? Well, we’re here to tell you about how and why law firms should use SEO tactics for their websites.
Why use SEO for your Law Firm?
SEO is an important strategy for law firms for a number of reasons:
- SEO helps you attract more clients.
- SEO helps you generate more revenue.
- SEO makes your firm more visible and establishes your company as an authority in its field.
How do you implement SEO tactics?
There are many tools you can use to perform this type of research. Most SEO experts recommend Google’s Keyword Planner, which is free and easy to use.
Once you have a list of keywords that are popular with your target audience, it’s time to create content around them. This can be anything from an article about how the law firm handles certain types of cases or a video on how they handle cases in general, but make sure that the content includes those keywords naturally. For example, if one of your clients is facing criminal charges for assault, you might write an article titled “How Our Firm Handles Assault Cases” and include relevant keyphrases like “assault charges” or “criminal defense.”
What are the main factors that affect your ranking?
In the world of SEO, there are a number of factors that can affect your ranking. These include:
- Quality of content
- Number of backlinks (aka inbound links)
- Social media signals (e.g., likes and shares) from social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn
- SEO tactics like keyword research and site structure optimization (SEO)
What makes a good law firm website?
A good law firm website should be:
- easy to navigate. It’s important that the site is intuitive and simple for people who are looking for a lawyer. A good lawyer should be able to quickly find what they need on the site, without having to search through other pages or links.
- clear and concise with a mission statement. The mission statement should be located prominently on the homepage of your website, so that visitors can quickly understand what it is that you do as an attorney and how they can best work with you (if this isn’t already clear).
- have good user experience (UX). This means that your website will be easy for users to navigate through; it will load quickly; it won’t have any unnecessary pop-ups or ads; there won’t be any broken links; etc., all of which can result in negative reviews being left by frustrated customers who feel like their time was wasted trying to find information about legal services from your firm’s website about legal services from your firm’s website about legal services from your firm’s website…
You’ll want to consider the geographic factors of your local area and how they can influence your law firm’s SEO strategy. For example, you may have a specific keyword that is related to a service or product you offer but only get hits for this keyword from within your state. Or maybe it’s an industry-specific term that doesn’t apply outside of one particular city or region. In either case, targeting the keywords that are most relevant to your area might help increase the amount of traffic coming from local searchers and bring in more clients who live nearby.
To determine which keywords are best suited for your practice area and location, use tools like Moz Local Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Google Keyword Planner (GKP), or any number of other free tools available online. These programs will help identify what terms people in different areas are searching for most often when they’re looking for legal services—and which ones might not be worth targeting if they don’t apply specifically enough to your practice area or location
Are there any other considerations for law firms when it comes to SEO?
While these five tips will help your law firm improve its SEO, there are a few other considerations.
- Make sure your website is mobile friendly.
- Use Google Analytics to track your progress.
- Use a content management system like WordPress for ease of updating and maintenance (this is especially important if you have multiple people working on the site).
- Use a good SEO plugin for WordPress, such as Yoast or All in One SEO Pack — whichever one works best for you!
Really dive into what people search for to find a law firm and build an effective website.
Your law firm website should be optimized for search engines. That means using keywords in the title, header, and body of your content. Additionally, make sure it’s mobile-friendly so it appears on Google’s first page when people search from their smartphones. Use schema markup to make your content more easily digestible by search engines
As we’ve discussed, SEO is an important part of the legal industry that can help law firms connect with potential clients and grow their business. However, this strategy is not right for every firm. It’s important to research your local market and see what types of keywords are searched most often by potential clients before deciding if investing in an SEO campaign makes sense for your firm.